24-Hour Town Hall Recorded Telephone Message Line
See Public Information

Accident Reports
Call Police Records at (919) 469-4021 to get a copy of an accident report.

The Town’s accounting division administers Town’s financial affairs including investing all Town funds, debt planning and issuance, maintaining accounting and financial records, invoicing all non-utility billed revenues, managing revenues and collections, preparing the bi-weekly payroll, and preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.  Within the division, accounts payable processes payments to vendors for goods and services provided to the Town. 
Finance, (919) 469-4380

Affordable Housing
The Affordable Housing Plan, adopted by Town Council on May 11, 2000, is a chapter in the Town’s Comprehensive Plan that provides long-term guidance to future land use and development decisions. The plan includes strategies and initiatives to achieve a higher proportion of housing accessible to Town employees such as police officers and firefighters, as well as teachers, service workers, and others who seek affordable housing in Cary. See also Housing Resources. Planning, (919) 469-4082

Alternate Day Watering
Adopted by the Cary Town Council in April 2000, the Alternate Day Watering Ordinance is a year-round outdoor watering law for all utility customers except for the relatively few citizens who irrigate with non-drinking water sources such as reclaimed, pond, lake, or well water. According to the alternate day watering schedule, customers have the same three days each week to water their landscape with irrigation systems or sprinklers:
Odd numbered street addresses: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
Even numbered street addresses: Wednesday, Friday, Sunday While hand watering is allowed any day of the week, watering with automatic irrigation systems or sprinklers on Mondays is not permitted. This allows time for system recovery and maintenance. Permitted handheld devices include, but are not limited to, hoses and watering cans or wands.
A three-week exception to the Alternate Day Watering Ordinance is available from April 15 through August 15 for customers planting warm season grasses (Zoysia, Bermuda, St. Augustine, and Centipede) and from September 15 through November 15 for customers planting cool season grasses such as fescue. Apply for exceptions online at or by calling the Public Works and Utilities Department. The alternate day watering schedule does not apply to any type of car washing, filling pools, or power washing. During emergencies, however, restrictions further limiting the alternate day schedule may be added as necessary.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090
14-Citizen’s Guide to Services

See Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park and Sertoma Amphitheatre

Animals, Dead
See Solid Waste Collection

Animals, Rules
See Pets

Animals, Wild
Sick or injured animals, animals that are treated cruelly, or animals running at large should be reported to Animal Control; also report any animal bites to humans or pets.  Do not touch or try to capture any wild or stranger animal, especially those that may carry the rabies virus and even if you think the animal is dead; instead, report the location of the animal to Animal Control immediately.  For help removing or repelling pesky wild animals not in your living space – such as bats in the attic or raccoons in the garbage – see PEST CONTROL in the Yellow Pages.  See also Solid Waste Collection. Police, (919) 319-4517 or (919) 469-4012

The State of North Carolina asserts that areas which are urban in character should be part of and served by municipalities. Annexation is the process under state law by which property not within a town’s corporate limits may become part of that town. The annexation process may be initiated by citizens or by a municipality.  Under citizen initiated annexation, the property owner petitions the municipality to be added to its corporate limits; with town initiated annexation, it is the municipality that initiates the annexation. The Town of Cary supports both the citizen initiated and town initiated annexation processes and administers them in accordance with state law.
Annexation into Cary’s corporate limits is required prior to connecting to the water or sewer systems. Properties that are annexed may take advantage of all the services offered by Cary, including the accredited police, fire and paramedic services and trash and debris removal, and the variety of recreational opportunities offered by the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department.  All major new development proposals are required to annex into the Town’s corporate limits.  The process requires submittal of an application, which is free of charge. Each annexation requires a public hearing, and the citizen initiated process generally takes two to three months. View a short video about Cary’s annexation process by visiting
Planning, (919) 469-4082

Applause! Cary Youth Theatre
Applause! offers theatre classes, camps and workshops for youth age 4-18.  In addition to class and camp performances, Applause! holds auditions and design team interviews for two annual main-stage productions. Auditions are typically open to ages 8-18; design team interviews are typically open to ages 10-18.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061
Citizens Guide to Services-15

Appliance Disposal
See Solid Waste Collection
See Public Art

Backwater Valve
To protect your property, the North Carolina Building Code requires a backwater valve to be installed if the plumbing fixtures are below the top of the first, upstream manhole on the street. A properly operating backwater valve allows flow to only go in one direction, thus preventing wastewater from entering your building during regular sewer system maintenance or inadvertent sewer system backups. To find out if you have or need a backwater valve, check your plumbing plans or consult with your builder or professional plumber.  If sewage backs up into your home, the cost to clean up and repair damages may be high, and towns cannot be held liable for damages when a backwater valve has not been installed by a property owner. 
Inspections and Permits, (919) 469-4340

Ball Field Rental
Ball field reservations and rentals may be made in person at the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources office in Town Hall at 316 North Academy Street.  Reservations may be made starting on Monday at 8 a.m. for that week. Fields are available for rental from March through October.  The softball complexes at Middle Creek Park and Thomas Brooks Park are available for tournaments and event rentals only.  For more information on renting these complexes, call (919) 367-2695.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Part of the Town of Cary’s Comprehensive Transportation Plan, the Bicycle Plan includes information on bicycle safety and rules of the road, a bicycle route map and guide, links to registering bicycles, and recommendations for future bicycle planning in Cary.  The League of American Bicyclists has recognized Cary as a “Bicycle Friendly Community” and has presented Cary with a Bronze Award for writing, directing and producing a bicycle education video in English and Spanish on bicycle facilities, rules of the road and bicycle safety tips. The video airs regularly on Cary TV 11 and is available on the Town’s Web site.
Planning, (919) 469-4082

Boards and Commissions
Town Council appoints the members of nine citizen boards and commissions that advise them on various issues in the community. 

The Economic Development Commission provides advice and recommendations to the council on economic development standards and activities for the Town of Cary. 

The Information Services Advisory Board advises the council on information technology and communications matters as they relate to the Cary citizenry and offers input and guidance on the

development and implementation of efficient and effective communications tools and programs to
disseminate information and to receive input from the public.

The Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Advisory Board advises the council in the planning and implementing of parks and greenways as well as the programs conducted as part of the parks, recreation and cultural resources system.

The Planning and Zoning Board advises the council on land use, zoning, and development issues.

The Public Art Advisory Board provides advice and recommendations to the council on all matters relating to the administration, acquisition, and inclusion of public art.

The Sister Cities Commission strives to further global understanding and to encourage and assist sister city relationships between the Town of Cary and its citizens and cities throughout the world. 

The Town Center Review Commission reviews new subdivision and site plans for the downtown area. This commission is also responsible for reviewing proposed plans for development approval within the boundaries of the Town Center District, reviewing proposed public enhancement projects such as public art and streetscapes in the town center, administering downtown design guidelines, and making recommendations on requests for variances from the downtown sign regulations.

The Utility Board of Adjustment approves or denies requests for adjustments to billed water, sewer, reconnection, late payment penalty and/or meter testing fee based upon a determination of whether policies were correctly applied.

The Zoning Board of Adjustment hears and decides appeals where it is alleged that there is an error in any order, requirement, permit, decision, determination or refusal made by the planning staff or other administrative officials in the enforcement of any provisions of the zoning ordinance.

The Town Clerk recruits volunteers each fall from the general citizenry and, depending on the board, the Town’s extraterritorial jurisdiction, to fill vacancies with appointments being made by the Town Council in January. Most board seat terms are for three years.
Town Clerk, (919) 469-4011

Boat Rental
Bond Park provides pedal boats, fishing boats, canoes, kayaks and sailboats for rent. For fee information and the boathouse schedule, use the automated service at (919) 469-4100.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Bond Park
Fred G. Bond Metro Park, a 310-acre facility, is the largest municipal park in Wake County.  The park’s design offers opportunities for both passive and active recreation while preserving the environment and integrating all facilities into natural settings. The park features a 42-acre lake for fishing and boating as well as picnic shelters, seven athletic fields, a 300-seat amphitheatre, trails, a large playground, and the Challenge Ropes Course. The park’s Compost Education Center includes a self-guided trail that demonstrates how to compost, the environmental and economic benefits of composting, and how to use the finished compost. The 29,000 square foot Bond Park Community Center includes activity and meeting rooms, two gymnasiums, and shower and locker rooms. Also at Bond Park is the 16,000 square foot Senior Center, which includes meeting, activity and kitchen facilities.
Citizens Guide to Services-17
Bond Park Community Center, (919) 462-3970 Cary Senior Center, (919) 469-4081 Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Bond Rating–AAA
The Town's general obligation bonds are rated AAA by the three national rating agencies: Fitch, Moody’s, and Standard & Poors.  Having a AAA credit rating saves Cary and its citizens hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest as the Town borrows money for large capital projects. 
Finance, (919) 469-4380

As part of our debt management strategy, the Town issues bonds and enters into installment contracts to finance many large capital projects.  The Town’s general obligation bonds are rated AAA, the best possible, by all three national credit rating agencies, which saves Cary and its citizens hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest when the Town borrows money.  Most of the Town’s bonds are sold competitively to the investment banking firm that submits the lowest interest rate bid. The winning bidder then sells the bonds to individuals and institutions. Individuals can purchase Cary bonds from registered broker dealers.
Finance, (919) 462-3957

Building Permits
Building permits are issued to erect, enlarge, alter, remove, demolish, or repair a structure in the Town of Cary in accordance with the North Carolina Building Code. This includes everything from new construction to renovations and additions to residential as well as commercial structures.
Building Permits for small projects can be obtained using the SPOT (Small Project One-hour Turnaround) Program. Applicants that come in between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. with all required information (plot plan, building plans, contractor info, etc.) may receive their permits within one hour. If there are any problems with the plans or paperwork, staff will work with the applicant to resolve the problem on the spot. Decks, porches, storage buildings, attic or basement conversions, and additions of under 500 square feet are all eligible for SPOT permitting.
Electrical permits are required for the installation of new electrical service equipment, existing service relocation and service increases as well as interior and exterior fixed appliances and equipment connections.
Mechanical permits are required for the replacement, repair or alteration of mechanical systems in structures including gas lines, gas logs, gas lights, gas grills, propane tanks, and associated piping for flammable liquids.
Plumbing permits are required for all plumbing work including water service, drains, water mains, sewage disposal systems, irrigation systems, and related fixtures and appliances.
Inspections and Permits, (919) 469-4340

Bulk Reclaimed Water
The Town of Cary provides reclaimed water free of charge for use by contractors and landscape companies for irrigation, dust control, and other non-potable uses (250 gallon minimum). Reclaimed water is highly cleaned wastewater that meets state reclaimed water quality requirements. It is a safe, cost-effective alternative to using potable water for non-drinking uses.  Pickups are available during regular business hours at both of Cary’s reclamation facilities.  Tank truck drivers must participate in a brief training prior to pickup and distribution of reclaimed water. 
North Cary Water Reclamation Facility, (919) 677-0850 South Cary Water Reclamation Facility, (919) 779-0697

Bulk Water Sales/Hydrant Access
Public Works and Utilities will supply to citizens and contractors bulk water meters that attach to fire hydrants. The hydrant equipment may be used to fill pools, clean streets, control road dust, for special events or to supply water to construction sites. First time bulk water users must establish a credit account with the Town of Cary by calling the Finance Department at (919) 319-4552.  Bulk water transactions are conducted 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. weekdays. To schedule a bulk water meter setup or pickup, call Public Works and Utilities 24 hours in advance.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Burning, Outdoor
Any outdoor burning requires a permit issued by the Cary Fire Department Risk Management Division.
Fire, (919) 469-4056

See C-Tran

Business License
Any person conducting business within Cary’s corporate limits must pay a business license tax unless specifically exempted by State law.  Business activities include but are not limited to maintaining a business location within the Town limits, conducting business personally or through agents, soliciting business within the Town, and picking up and/or delivering goods or services within the Town limits.  If an individual or company is engaged in more than one type of business, separate licenses may be required for each type. The business license form is on the Town’s Web site at
Finance, (919) 460-4952

C-Tran, Cary’s transit system, provides the following types of transit service:
• Door-to-Door Transit Service – C-Tran provides door-to-door van service for medical, shopping, social, and employment trips for Cary citizens age 55 or older or disabled of any age. Citizens must register at the Cary Senior Center for this specialized service. In-town trips are provided for $2 per one-way trip and out-of-town trips provided for $4 per one-way trip to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Morrisville, and Apex.  C-Tran offers discount pricing for tickets during off-peak in-
Citizens Guide to Services-19
town trips only between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Out-of-town trips are provided only for medical and employment trips for seniors and the disabled. Reservations must be made by calling 481-2020 at least 24 hours before the scheduled pick-up. C-Tran strives to ensure that pick-ups occur within 15 minutes of the scheduled departure time. This is not an exclusive taxi-type service, but rather a shared-ride service where passengers are grouped according to common destinations.
• Fixed Route Service – Open to any member of the general public, no registration is required. Riders pay $1 per one-way trip; one transfer between routes is free. C-Tran also honors the TTA Day Pass and Monthly Pass. Seniors and disabled pay $.50 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All fixed route buses are equipped with bike racks. Transfers can be made between the North-South Route and East-West Route at the Cary Depot. 1) North-South Route – Service provided from Harrison Square Shopping Center (N. Harrison and
Weston Parkway) to the south along Harrison Avenue, Academy Street and Kildaire Farm Road and terminates at the WalMart at Crescent Commons to the south.  Service runs every half hour from approximately 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. with hourly service between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
2)     East-West Route – Service provided from Preston Corners (High House and Cary Parkway) to Cary Towne Center along High House Road, Chatham Street, and East Maynard Road.  Service runs every half hour from approximately 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. with hourly service between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
3)     Maynard Loop Route – Hourly service provided in both directions around the Maynard Loop
with stops at Cary Towne Center, Crossroads and Dillard Drive near Centrum. Service is provided Monday through Saturday from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. excluding holidays. Maps and schedules for the fixed route service are available on the Town’s Web site at or can be picked up at Town Hall, the Senior Center or on the buses.
Planning, (919) 469-4082

Find calendars for special events, solid waste collection, official Town government meetings, and much more on the Town’s Web site,  Also see the Town’s weekly display ad on page A-5 of the local newspaper, The Cary News. Public Information, (919) 469-4007

Camps and Art Experiences
Day camps for traditional calendar and tracked out year-round students are offered throughout the year. For details, go to or call:

Art Camps, (919) 469-4069

Sports Camps, (919) 469-4062

Clown Camp, (919) 460-4963

Nature Camps, (919) 387-5980

Performing Arts Experiences, (919) 469-4061

Safety Town, (919) 460-4965

Summer Day Camps, (919) 462-3970

Teen Adventure Camps, (919)  462-3970

Teen Video Project, (919) 460-4963

Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Cary Tennis Park
The Cary Tennis Park features 30 lighted tennis courts including an exhibition court and a stadium court. A variety of tennis opportunities are offered including instructional and play for beginner through advanced players for both youth and adults. Contact the park directly at (919) 462-2061 for additional information.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Cary TV 11
See Public Information

See Hillcrest Cemetery

Christmas Parade
For over 25 years, the Cary Jaycees has sponsored a downtown Christmas Parade. Information and applications may be found on their Web site at
Cary Jaycees, (919) 406-6200

Christmas Tree Collection
See Solid Waste Collection

Citizen Satisfaction Survey
Every two years the Town undertakes a scientific, representative telephone survey of Cary citizens as part of our assessment of citizen opinion on our effectiveness in helping promote and support a high quality of life for our citizens. Survey results are available at
Public Information, (919) 460-4951

Citizens Police Academy
This multi-week evening program offers an opportunity for the general public to see firsthand the duties and responsibilities of law enforcement personnel. Attendees interact with police officers, emergency communications officers, records clerks, and animal control officers.  The program does not train citizens to become police officers; the program helps attendees better understand the law enforcement profession. Training for the academy is provided entirely by the Police Department. 
Police, (919) 460-4903

Citizen’s Convenience Center
Located at 313 North Dixon Avenue in downtown Cary, the Citizen’s Convenience Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday from 1 - 6 p.m., and most holidays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Convenience Center is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.  Cary citizens may dispose of bulky trash, yard waste, miscellaneous trash,
Citizens Guide to Services-21
household garbage and large appliances (fee applies) at the Citizen’s Convenience Center.  Newspapers and glossy magazines; corrugated cardboard and chipboard; residential computers and electronic equipment; aluminum, steel and tin cans; brown, green and clear glass bottles and jars; and #1, #2, #5, and #7 flattened plastic bottles may be dropped off to be recycled.  See also Solid Waste Collection. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Community Centers
Recreation programs and special events are offered at the Bond Park Community Center, Middle Creek Community Center and the Herbert C. Young Community Center.  Programs include fitness and exercise, dance, self-defense, and other recreational and athletic opportunities. The Bond Park Community Center is located in Bond Park, 801 High House Road. Middle Creek Community Center is located at 123 Middle Creek Park Avenue adjacent to Middle Creek High School.  The Herbert C. Young Community Center is located at 101 Wilkinson Avenue in downtown Cary (see also Senior Citizen Programs). Bond Park Community Center, (919) 462-3970 Middle Creek Community Center, (919) 771-1295 Herbert C. Young Community Center, (919) 460-4965 Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
Cary Fire and emergency services train citizens how to take care of themselves first and then help others in the community in the first three days following a natural or manmade disaster.  CERT members are taught basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, light search and rescue, and disaster medical operations. CERT classes are offered 1-2 times a year.
Fire, (919) 469-4056

Community Watch
Help keep Cary safe by joining a local arm of the national Community Watch, which facilitates neighborhoods working together to reduce crime. The Cary Community Watch Association acts as the “eyes and ears” of the police by reporting suspicious activity.
Police, (919) 469-4324

Compost Education Center
To learn more about composting vegetative debris, visit the Compost Education Center in Bond Park.  A self-guided trail demonstrates how to compost, the environmental and economic benefits of composting, and how to use the resulting product to enrich and improve soil.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

The NC Symphony’s Summerfest Concert Series is held annually in June and July at Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park. For additional Summerfest concert information, call the NC Symphony at (919) 733-2750. Other concerts are held at the Amphitheatre from April through October.  Contact the box office weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the concert season at (919) 462-2025.  Other concert opportunities include Cary’s Marvelous Music Series at the Herbert C. Young Community Center, the Friends of the Page-Walker Concert Series and the Starlight Concert Series as well as a variety of concerts throughout the year at Bond Park's Sertoma Amphitheatre.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Crime Stoppers
Crime Stoppers of Cary, Inc., a non-profit organization, involves the community, the media, and law enforcement in the fight against crime. Crime Stoppers works with the Cary Police Department but is not part of it. Most of the information received by Crime Stoppers is by telephone, and all calls to Crime Stoppers are kept in complete confidence. When a call is received, it is logged with the date and time along with a brief summary of the caller's information. Callers are given a confidential code number that is used for identification in subsequent transactions. Citizens who supply information leading to an arrest and indictment are eligible for rewards up to $2500. At the time of the initial phone call, the caller is given instructions on when to call back to check on the case. When the caller does call back, if the information provided resulted in an arrest and indictment, the caller will be given information on how to collect the reward and still remain anonymous. To report information about a crime, call 226-CRIM(E).
Police, (919) 469-4017

Cross Connection
In order to protect the public water system from possible contamination or pollution, the Town’s Cross Connection Control Ordinance requires all commercial customers to have backflow prevention assemblies installed on all domestic water services, fire sprinkler and irrigation systems. Residential customers with irrigation systems must also install a backflow prevention device. All backflow prevention assemblies must be tested annually and a copy of the test and maintenance report retained for three years.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Cultural Arts
The Town supports cultural arts through the Cultural Arts division of the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department as well as by supporting local cultural arts non-profits that serve our community. In FY2007, the Town provided support to the following organizations:
Cary/Apex Piano Teachers Association
Offers master classes, recitals and competitions for community pianists
(919) 481-0108

Cary Ballet Company
Provides dancers with quality training and performing experience; (919) 481-6509

Cary Community Choir
A special choir assembled annually for the presentation of the Christmas portion of The Messiah; (919) 463-5284
Citizens Guide to Services-23

Cary Players
Cary’s Community Theatre Company dedicated to developing, enhancing and showcasing theatrical talents through a diverse offering of excellent theatrical productions

Cary Town Band
Music in the spirit of turn of the century bands led by Sousa and Goldman; (919) 467-7336

Cary Visual Art
Facilitates the commissioning and placement of art throughout the community; (919) 468-9500

Concert Singers of Cary
Performing outstanding vocal music from all traditions with several ensembles for adults at various skill levels and for children grades 3-9; (919) 678-1009

Diamante, Inc.
Encourages Hispanic cultural programming and co-sponsors Festival Ritmo Latino; (919) 852-0075

Fine Arts League of Cary
Increases public awareness of fine visual art through exhibits, competitions and workshops; (919) 303-7887

Hum Sub, Inc.
Co-sponsors Cary Diwali and other festive celebrations to share Indian cultural heritage; (919) 342-0345

NC Symphony
Full time, professional orchestra that performs its annual Summerfest concert series in Cary's Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park, a state-of-the-art performance center adjacent to Symphony Lake.; (919) 733-2750

Philharmonic Association
Ensemble opportunities for youth at various skill levels (Triangle Youth Jazz Ensemble, Triangle Youth Orchestra, Triangle Youth Symphony, Triangle Youth Philharmonic); (919) 467-2727

Triangle Wind Ensemble
Performance opportunities for advanced wind and percussion instrumentalists; (919) 531-7757

The Ujima Group
Co-sponsors Cary Kwanzaa and the African-American Celebration, communal, cultural events that honor African-Americans and their heritage
(919) 380-7020
24-Citizen’s Guide to Services

See Cultural Arts

Direct Draft for Utility Bills
Save time by having your utility bill drafted from your bank account. Simply complete a Bank Draft Authorization Form and return it to Town of Cary Finance Department, PO Box 8049, Cary, NC 27512­8049. The amount of your utility bill will be automatically drafted on the due date.  Inquire about your utility account, pay your bill online, or find the Bank Draft Authorization Form at Finance, (919) 469-4050

Disabilities, People With
See C-Tran

Dog Park
The Town of Cary’s dog park provides a place for dog owners to let their pets run safely and legally without a leash. The park is a one-acre fenced area accessed through Robert V. Godbold Park at 2050 NW Maynard Road.  The hours of operation are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, with no entry after 9 p.m. Dog park passes may be purchased at any community center by presenting Town of Cary Pet ID Tag and proof of current rabies vaccination.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources (919) 469-4064 or (919) 462-3970

When replacing an existing driveway or adding a new residential driveway, a permit is required for the portion of the work in the public right-of-way and may be obtained from Inspections and Permits.
Inspections and Permits, (919) 469-4340

An easement is a legal interest in property for a specific purpose, such as giving a company access to run a telephone line underground. Utility easements that are dedicated to the Town of Cary cover water and/or sanitary sewer lines and are typically 20 feet wide. After the easement is granted, the property owner continues to maintain the easement like the rest of the yard. While ground covers or grasses are okay within an easement, no trees or shrubbery should be placed within a utility easement because of the need for utility maintenance staff to access the area and to help prevent utility line damage caused by tree and shrub roots. Fences and landscaping improvements installed within the easement are subject to disturbance or damage during the Town's use of the easement and may be removed if the Town needs access for maintenance or utility line repair.  See Utility Easement Clearing and Mowing. Public Works and Utilities, (919 469-4090

In North Carolina, the elections process is the legal responsibility of county government, and in Cary, these duties fall to the Wake County Board of Elections (BOE) and the Chatham County BOE. Registered voters are assigned to one of several dozen voting precincts established by the BOE. Since
Citizens Guide to Services-25
precinct assignment is based on current residential street address, it’s important for voters to notify their county BOE immediately upon changing residences in order to be eligible to vote in upcoming elections.
Town Clerk, (919) 469-4011

Electronic Mailing List Service
See Public Information

Town of Cary e-mail addresses are configured as follows:
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .  For example: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .  See also Public Information. Technology Services, (919) 460-4900

If you suffer or witness a threat to safety, health, or public welfare, dial 9-1-1.  However, during hurricanes, snow storms, and in other sorts of emergencies that impact large portions of Cary, please limit your calls to 9-1-1 to only those regarding immediate threats to life and health. During such times, the Town typically establishes non-emergency telephone banks at (919) 469-4090 for citizens to report public property concerns – such as trees on sidewalks – or to ask questions so that 9-1-1 operators can focus on life-threatening situations. Remember that the Town will be getting information out to you as soon as possible and in many different ways.  Your best avenue for staying informed during changing circumstances is to watch or listen to local news media. For timely alerts and updates from the Town, subscribe now to our electronic mailing list service available on our Web site.  Also, please remember that we always post information as it happens on our Web site – very often setting up special sections for major events. We use the 24-Hour Town Hall telephone service to provide recorded message updates, and we utilize Cary TV 11 to update you as well.  Public Information, (919) 469-4007
See Jobs

Façade Improvement Program
The Town’s Façade Improvement Program assists property and business owners within the Town Center Area to undertake storefront or building front improvements ranging from minor repairs and painting to substantial façade renovations on buildings used for commercial or office purposes.  The program is designed to increase the attractiveness of downtown, increase patronage of downtown businesses, and to attract increased private investment in the Town Center area.  Approved property owners or tenants who improve the exteriors of existing businesses may seek reimbursement for up to half the cost.
Planning, (919) 469-4082

Facility and Shelter Rentals
The Herbert C. Young Community Center, the Bond Park Community Center, Middle Creek Community Center, and Cary Senior Center have rooms available for reservation.  Reservations for Sunday through Thursday are accepted up to three months in advance. Reservations for Friday and Saturday are accepted up to six months in advance. The Page-Walker Arts and History Center also has rooms available for reservation. Reservations for Sundays through Thursdays are accepted up to three months in advance, and reservations for Fridays and Saturdays are accepted up to 12 months in advance. Sertoma Amphitheatre, located in Bond Park, accommodates 300 spectators for outdoor performances and is available for reservation six months in advance. Picnic shelters are available on a first come, first use basis or may be rented up to six months in advance. To inquire about shelter reservations, call the Herbert C. Young Community Center at (919) 460-4965, Middle Creek Community Center at
(919) 771-1295, or Bond Park Community Center at (919) 462-3970. To inquire about facility rentals, please contact staff located at the specific community or arts center.  Cary residents have priority over non-residents to reserve facilities.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Farmers Market
Don’t leave Cary for the best locally grown fruits, vegetables, plants, and flowers.  Located in the west side of the Cary Depot parking lot, the market operates from April through November on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and on Tuesdays from 3 to 6 p.m.  Also at the Cary Farmers Market are the best in homemade breads, jams and jellies, dog treats, free range eggs, hormone-free meat, environmentally sound produce and honey.  All items are grown or produced within a 50-mile radius of the market.
(919) 772-4906

Fats, Oils, and Greases
See Wastewater Pretreatment

The Town of Cary, in collaboration with various community groups, produces a variety of cultural festivals that enhance the quality of life in Cary. Spring Daze Arts & Crafts Festival is held annually in Fred G. Bond Metro Park on the last Saturday of April and features local artists.  The award-winning, nationally ranked Lazy Daze Arts & Crafts Festival annually welcomes over 50,000 to experience the highest quality of arts and crafts in the historic downtown Cary.  The Town of Cary also hosts Diwali, a major Indian celebration held at the Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park in mid-October that highlights the diverse culture of India. The African-American cultural celebration of Kwanzaa is presented annually the last week in December at the Herbert C. Young Community Center.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Financial Report
The Town’s fiscal year ends on June 30.  By the end of October, the Town produces a comprehensive annual financial report that consistently meets standards set forth for excellence in financial reporting. The report includes the independent auditor’s report, financial statements, statistics, graphs and trend data. The report can be found on the Town’s Web site,, at the Cary Public Library or at the Town of Cary Finance Department.
Finance, (919) 469-4050
Citizens Guide to Services-27

Fingerprint Service
The Town of Cary Police Department’s Records Division offers fingerprinting services each Wednesday afternoon between 1 and 3 p.m. The charge for fingerprints is $5 for up to two cards and $10 for three or more cards. Please bring your own fingerprint cards. The agency requesting that you be fingerprinted should provide you with these cards. If you do not have cards, contact the City-County Bureau of Identification (CCBI) at (919) 856-6300. Cary Police does not fingerprint for immigration or naturalization purposes; fingerprinting for these purposes is available from CCBI at (919) 856-6300 or another immigration-certified agency. 
Police, 469-4322

Fire Ants/Quarantine for Landscaping Materials
The NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has expanded the state quarantine area for the imported fire ant to include most of Cary.  Businesses and individuals in the quarantined areas need to obtain a permit to move certain materials such as sod, soil, hay and straw, nursery plants, logs, pulpwood and soil-moving equipment before they can be moved through or to non-quarantined areas. This permit can be obtained by contacting the NC Dept of Agriculture at (919) 733-6932.
The imported fire ants are reddish to dark brown and measure from 1/8 inch to about 1/3 inch long. They construct their mounds in the soil, and if the mound is disturbed, ants swarm out and sting the intruder.  Encounters with fire ants can be expected not only outdoors but indoors as well. Fire ants prefer oily and greasy foods and may travel indoors to find food. They also feed on other insects.  The objective of treating fire ants is to kill the queen because she is the only ant in the colony capable of laying eggs. Insecticide treatment is used to eliminate fire ants in areas where the risk to people is high and to reduce infestations to acceptable levels. Always follow label directions when using any insecticide.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Fire Hydrant Maintenance
See Water System and Fire Hydrant Maintenance

Flood Zone
Flood zone determination for higher risk areas is made by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to designate areas in which flood insurance is required.
Engineering, (919) 469-4030

Garbage Pickup
See Solid Waste Collection

The Town of Cary maintains more than 26 miles of greenways and trails throughout Cary and continues to develop and construct additional greenway miles each year.  Cary’s greenway and trail system is designed to provide recreational opportunities and alternative transportation, open space preservation, water quality improvement, natural resource protection, and floodplain management. A full color Bike & Hike map is available at all Town facilities and upon request. 
28-Citizen’s Guide to Services
Current greenways and trails include:

Annie L. Jones Greenway

Black Creek Greenway

Higgins Greenway

Hinshaw Greenway

Oxxford Hunt (private/open to public) Greenway

Panther Creek (at Cary Park) Greenway

Pirate’s Cove Greenway

Swift Creek Greenway

Symphony Lake Trail

White Oak Greenway

Glenkirk Greenway

Batchelor Branch Greenway

Bishops Gate Greenway

Camp Branch Greenway

Davis Drive Multi-Use Trail

Green Hope Greenway

Northwoods Greenway

Park Village Greenway

Riggsbee Farm Greenway

Speight Branch Greenway

Sherwood Greens Greenway

Church Hill Estates Greenway

Green Level Greenway

Louis Stephens Multi-Use Trail

Town of Cary parks with trails include:

Fred G. Bond Metro Park

Green Hope Elementary School Park

Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve

Middle Creek School Park

North Cary Park

Robert V. Godbold Park

Thomas Brooks Park

White Oak Park

SAS Soccer Park

MacDonald Woods Park

Kids Together Park

Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061
Hazardous Waste Disposal
See Solid Waste Collection
Citizens Guide to Services-29

Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative
Celebrating and preserving the unique character of every Cary neighborhood is an important part of maintaining our town’s appeal.  Wherever you live in Cary, we believe you have the same rights to – and responsibilities for – a home that’s safe, healthy, and attractive.  In 2004, the Town Council established the Cary’s Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative – a multi-pronged effort to make sure that every person in Cary has the opportunity to live in a place that meets our state’s and community’s basic standards for healthy living. Information is available on the Town’s Web site.  See also Housing Rehabilitation Program and Neighborhood Improvement Grant Program. Administration, (919) 469-4006

Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve
This 150-acre natural area located at 2616 Kildaire Farm Road includes the Stevens Nature Center, environmental education programs for the entire family, walking trails and scenic vistas of the unique eastern hemlock trees for which the property is named. This is a popular location for afternoon hikes and family outings. For more information, call (919) 387-5980.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Hillcrest Cemetery
The Town of Cary owns a small cemetery located at 608 Page Street.  The hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. from April 1 through August 31 and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. from September 1 through March 31. There are no cemetery plots available at this time.
Town Clerk, (919) 469-4011

Historic Preservation
See Open Space and Historic Preservation

Home Businesses
Any business operating out of a home must have an Accessory Use Permit and a Business License and be in compliance with the Town’s Ordinance for Home Occupation, which limits how much of the home can be used for a business and what types of businesses are allowed. The ordinance also prohibits the outside storage and display of goods related to the business, signs in the yard, retail or wholesale sales taking place at the home, and the creation of excessive noise, smoke, electrical interference or other disruptions.
Planning, (919) 469-4082

Housing Rehabilitation Program
To help increase the attractiveness of our neighborhoods, provide safe and healthy homes for low and moderate income families, and to preserve the affordable housing stock in Cary, the Cary Housing Rehabilitation Program provides federal funds to assist eligible residential property owners located within the Town limits to undertake home repairs and improvements.  Improvements range from minor repairs and painting to substantial roof and structural renovations on houses that are in need. See also Housing Resources and Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative. Planning, (919) 469-4082
30-Citizen’s Guide to Services

Housing Resources
Housing Resources Available to Cary Citizens is a booklet that lists currently available housing resources for Cary citizens and non-profit organizations, churches, and other groups with day-to-day contact with persons who may be in need of the services included. Available in hard copy or at  See also Housing Rehabilitation Program and Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative. Planning, (919) 469-4082

Information, Public
See Public Information

Irrigation Systems
The Town’s water conservation program provides field staff and workshops each summer to assist customers in maintaining and calibrating their irrigation systems. All new systems must have a separate irrigation meter, and all new commercial and residential irrigation systems must meet specified design criteria before being installed. Permits to install an irrigation system may be obtained from the Inspections and Permits Department. See also Alternate Day Watering, Rain Sensors, and Water Waste Ordinance. Inspections and Permits, (919) 469-4340 Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

The Town of Cary recruits candidates for employment in a wide variety of positions. Information about current job opportunities may be obtained in the Human Resources Department, on the Town’s Web site, or by calling 24-Hour Town Hall Code 283. Applications may be submitted in person at the Human Resources Department on Cary’s Town Hall campus during regular business hours or by mail to PO Box 8005, Cary, NC 27512.  The Town does not accept resumes in lieu of an application nor does it accept faxed applications. Due to the large number of applications the Town receives for posted job openings, individuals are not notified regarding the status of their particular application unless contacted for an interview. Status of the recruitment may be obtained on the Town’s Web site under “Employment/Job Openings/Job Status,” or by calling 24-Hour Town Hall and selecting message 284. 
Human Resources, (919) 469-4070 24-Hour Town Hall, (919) 319-4500

Jordan Hall Arts Center
Classes in visual and performing arts for children and adults are offered at the Jordan Hall Arts Center, 908 North Harrison Avenue.  The center features a fully equipped ceramics arts studio and specially-designed classrooms.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4069

Kids 911
Kids 911 educates children about what 911 is, how and when to call 911, and what information to give the emergency communication officer.  The 45-minute program is taught by an emergency communications officer who visits daycare centers, preschools and other organizations that serve children.
Police, (919) 469-4324
Citizens Guide to Services-31

Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park
Koka Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park is the summer home of the North Carolina Symphony and host to an array of concerts, performances and community events from April through October.  In addition to the performance facility, a greenway trail circles Symphony Lake.  The facility features seating for 7,000 people – including 6,500 on manicured Zoysia grass – concessions and permanent restrooms, a covered crescent with tables and private catering for nearly 500 people, and a curving glass “glowing lantern” canopy over the stage with flickering bulbs mimicking fireflies. Visit for details on upcoming events. 
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Land Development Ordinance
The Land Development Ordinance (LDO) contains the rules and regulations that guide the development and redevelopment of properties located within the Town’s planning jurisdiction (composed of the area within the corporate limits as well as the extra-territorial jurisdiction). The LDO controls zoning, subdivision of land, building appearance, landscaping, signage, parking and many other aspects of development. The purposes of the LDO include facilitating the adequate and safe provision of transportation, water, wastewater treatment, schools, parks, and other public facilities and requirements, maintaining and enhancing the character of various districts within the Town, encouraging the most appropriate uses of land throughout the community, and conserving the natural resources and environmental quality of the Town.  The full text of the LDO is available on the Town’s Web site. 
Planning (919) 469-4082

Land Use Plan
One component of the Town’s Comprehensive Plan, the Land Use Plan presents the Town's official policy regarding the form and pattern of future land uses. It directs growth by serving as a reference guide when considering rezonings, annexation, subdivisions, and site plans. It is also used to direct provision of public infrastructure and aid decisions for private sector investment.
Planning, (919) 469-4082

See Citizen’s Convenience Center and Solid Waste Collection
Leaf Collection
See Solid Waste Collection
Leash Law
See Pets

A wide range of maps are available online and from the Planning Department, including the official zoning map, the Land Use Plan map and document, area plans, jurisdictional boundaries and streets, planned development districts, subdivisions, and airport noise boundary maps. Maps may be viewed or purchased in Planning and are available via Maps Online at  Street maps for Cary and vicinity are available from the Cary Chamber of Commerce, area book stores, convenience stores and discount stores.
Planning, (919) 469-4082; Technology Services, (919) 462-3925

Neighborhood Improvement Grant Program
The Neighborhood Improvement Grant Program provides small matching grants to qualified neighborhood organizations as an incentive to encourage neighborhood residents to take on projects that will improve their own neighborhoods as well as the whole community.  Up to $5,000 is available for qualified projects. The goals of the Neighborhood Improvement Grant Program are to improve the health of Cary’s neighborhoods by addressing needs through the active involvement of the neighborhood residents themselves. Any neighborhood group – a neighborhood association, neighborhood watch group, homeowner’s association or an organized committee of neighborhood residents representing a specific neighborhood or community area – may apply for matching funding, which is available on a first come, first used basis. See also Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative. Planning, (919) 469-4082

See Public Information

Oasis is a program to help those going through financial hardship with their Cary utility bill through donations from other utility customers. The program is administered through a partnership between the Town and Christian Community in Action, a Cary non-profit organization that helps people in need get back on their feet. Donating is quick and easy. Contributions are tax-deductible. Cary accepts one-time or regular donations from utility customers and passes all the money to Christian Community in Action. The money can only be used for a Cary utility bill or for plumbing repairs to fix leaks. CCA decides who qualifies for assistance and how much help they receive with their utility expenses. To get help, call Christian Community in Action at (919) 469-9861. To make a donation, call (919) 469-4050.
Finance, (919) 469-4050

Open Space and Historic Preservation
The Town’s Open Space and Historic Resources Plan (OSHRP) provides a framework to identify, acquire, preserve and manage natural resources, historic sites, and other areas that are important to the citizens of Cary environmentally or culturally.  The Plan is based on the green infrastructure concept, which supports an interconnected system of open space to create a framework for conservation. The OSHRP establishes preservation as an essential function of local government by identifying a blueprint for the Town and describing the necessary tools to protect significant natural and cultural resources. Since 1998, the Town has acquired over 1,000 acres of open space and parkland. 
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Page-Walker Arts and History Center
Originally a hotel for railroad passengers and boarding house for students of the old Cary High School (see History), the Page-Walker Arts and History Center on the Town Hall Campus is now used as a
Citizens Guide to Services-33
center for visual, performing, and literary arts classes, concerts and exhibits, and houses the Cary
Heritage Museum. 
Page-Walker Arts and History Center, 460-4963 
Paint Disposal 
See Solid Waste Collection 
Park Locations 
Annie L. Jones Park  Lions Park 
1414 Tarbert Drive  815 Tanglewood Drive 
Cary Dog Park  MacDonald Woods Park 
2050 NW Maynard Road  1601 Seabrook Avenue 
Cary Tennis Park  Middle Creek Park 
2727 Louis Stephens Drive  151 Middle Creek Park Avenue 
Davis Drive Park  Robert V. Godbold Park 
1610 Davis Drive  2050 NW Maynard Road 
Dorothy Park  Rose Street Park 
720 Griffis Street  110 Rose Street 
Fred G. Bond Metro Park  R. S. Dunham Park 
801 High House Road  519 Walnut Street 
Green Hope Elementary School Park  SAS Soccer Park 
2750 Louis Stephens Drive  201 Soccer Park Drive 
Harold D. Ritter Park  Sears Farm Road Park 
301 West Lochmere Drive  5077 Sears Farm Road 
Heater Park  SK8-Cary 
400 South West Street  2050 NW Maynard Road 
Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve  Thomas Brooks Park 
2616 Kildaire Farm Road  111 Brooks Park Avenue 
Kids Together Park  Urban Park 
111 Thurston Drive  414 East Chatham Street 
Lexie Lane Park  White Oak Park 
301 North Dixon Street  1216 Jenks Carpenter Road 

Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources,  (919) 469-4061

All dogs and cats four months of age or older residing within the Town of Cary must wear a pet tag.  Pet owners may complete an application form and procure a pet tag from the Finance Department located at 316 North Academy Street.  A pet tag application can be found on the Town’s Web site.  Pet tags cost $20 each or $10 if the animal is spayed or neutered. This is a one-time fee and lasts the lifetime of the pet. For more information about pet tag fees, please call (919) 469-4052. Please notify Animal Control if your contact information changes so that our records may be updated. If your pet becomes lost and Cary animal control officers locate it, information on the ownership of the animal is quickly obtained by checking the pet tag number with our records. If you own a pet, you should be aware of Cary’s regulations:

All pet owners are responsible for picking up after their pets on private or public property.

All animals must be provided with adequate food, water and proper shelter. 

Dogs and cats 4 months and older must have a current rabies inoculation.

• All dogs and cats must be on a leash whenever they are off of the owner’s property. Lost and found animals should be reported to animal control. Cary animal control officers scan all dogs and cats for a microchip. If your animals have a microchip, please keep your owner information updated so that we may return your pet right away.  See also Dog Park and Animals, Wild. Police, (919) 319-4517

Picnic Shelters
See Facility and Shelter Rentals

Town playgrounds are located at Annie L. Jones Park, Fred G. Bond Metro Park, Davis Drive Park, Lexie Lane Park, MacDonald Woods Park, Robert V. Godbold Park, Green Hope Elementary School Park, Kids Together Park, North Cary Park, Rose Street Park, Sears Farm Road Park,  Urban Park, Dunham Park, Harold Ritter Park, Thomas Brooks Park, and White Oak Park.  See Park Locations for street addresses.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Police District Offices
Four district offices allow police officers to provide convenient service to the public and further enhance the police presence in the community.  The offices are located at Cary Towne Center, Crossroads Shopping Center, Fire Station No. 5 on High House Road, and 1334 C Wicklow Court in the Briarcliff Apartment complex.
Police, (919) 469-4021

Potholes or other street hazards should be reported to the Public Works and Utilities Department.  Crews will be scheduled to repair the potholes on Town-maintained streets; NC Department of Transportation will be notified of potholes on state-maintained streets. About 20 percent of streets in Cary – typically the major thoroughfares – are state roads. See also Street Maintenance. Public Works and Utilities (919) 469-4090
Citizens Guide to Services-35

Preschool Activities
Programs for preschoolers are offered at the Bond Park Community Center, Cary Tennis Park, Herbert
C. Young Community Center, Middle Creek Community Center, Jordan Hall Arts Center and the Stevens Nature Center. 
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Privilege License
See Business License

Program Brochure
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources programs are detailed in seasonal brochures issued three times a year.  An electronic version of the current brochure is available on the Town’s Web site.  Hard copies are available at the Bond Park Community Center, Cary Tennis Park, Herbert C. Young Community Center, Middle Creek Community Center, Jordan Hall Arts Center, Page-Walker Arts and History Center, the Stevens Nature Center and the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources office. 
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Public Art
Working collaboratively with Cary Visual Art, Inc., the Town has assembled an impressive collection of public art. The Town’s current collection includes 32 sculptures and paintings valued at more than $530,000. In 2001, Town Council adopted the Public Art Master Plan and in 2003 established the Public Art Advisory Board.  As a result of the Town’s Public Art Master Plan, public art is a focus of new parks, greenways and the downtown area. (For additional information about the Public Art Advisory Board, see Boards and Commissions.) Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Public Information
The Town of Cary is committed to the highest level of accuracy, timeliness, and completeness as we work to keep citizens aware and involved. We have created and support a variety of official products that can help you stay current on what’s happening within and because of your Town government:
24-Hour Town Hall Telephone Message Line – Use your touch-tone telephone to access more than 250 recorded messages answering the most frequently asked questions and over 30 faxable documents about your government’s services and operations.  (919) 319-4500 or (919) 319-4504 TDD.
BUD – All the big issues are covered in BUD, the Town of Cary’s monthly utility bill insert.  Even if you don’t get a utility bill from Cary, you can still get BUD by viewing it online at or by dropping by any Town facility.  And don’t forget to check out the video version of BUD – BUD-TV – which runs throughout the month on Cary TV 11.
Cary Connections – Get briefed on the coming week from Town Hall by reading the Town of Cary’s display ad in The Cary News. Cary Connections appears each week on page A-5 and covers meetings, events, legal notices, and special messages for the coming week’s Town government calendar.
Cary TV 11 – Watch your government in action on Cary’s 24-hour government access channel, Time Warner Cable channel 11.  Enjoy wink, BUD-TV, and NASA as well as meetings of the Cary Town Council, Wake County Board of Education, and the Wake County Board of Commissioners.  Cary TV programming is also available online at
Electronic Mailing List – Get all the news from Town Hall when you want it by subscribing to the Town’s e-mail list.  Messages are sent on breaking news, traffic, current projects, and upcoming events as well as e-versions of BUD and Cary Connections. Join now by clicking on E-mail Service in the Shortcuts box at
wink – Get the latest real-time traffic information using the Town of Cary’s wink system of products, which include live traffic camera images on Cary TV 11 weekdays during morning and evening rush hours, notices to drivers on nearly a dozen dynamic message signs around Cary, and comprehensive traffic and travel information online via wink Web at – With more than 55,000 files, you’re sure to find everything you need on Cary’s award-winning Web site.  Features include utility bill payment, class registration, video and audio files, calendar of events, updates on current projects, and much more!
Public Information, (919) 460-4951

Rain Barrels
Use water wisely by capturing rainwater from downspouts to use for your yard or houseplants. Through­out the year you may purchase 65-gallon rain barrels made from recycled plastic at Herbert C. Young Community Center, Middle Creek Community Center, and Bond Park Community Center.  Payment may be made by cash, check, or credit card.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Rain Sensors
A rain sensor must be installed on all automatic irrigation systems.  A rain sensor is a small, inexpensive device mounted in an area of your yard that receives a representative amount of rainfall. It is wired to the common line of an irrigation system and interrupts the cycle when a minimum of 1/4 inch of rain has fallen. See also Alternate Day Watering and Irrigation Systems. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Reclaimed Water
Reclaimed water is highly-treated wastewater that meets State of North Carolina water quality require­ments and is reused for limited purposes within designated service districts. Reclaimed water is a safe, high-quality, and cost-effective alternative to using potable water for non-drinking uses such as irrigation and cooling towers. See also Bulk Reclaimed Water. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Recycling, Recycling Bins
See Solid Waste Collection
Citizens Guide to Services-37

If property owners want to use their land for purposes other than those permitted by the current zoning classification, the Town Council is required to hold a public hearing to consider the property owner’s (applicant or representative) proposal. A public hearing is scheduled, the time, date and place are advertised, and a sign is posted at the site. The applicant and the public may present information to the Town Council at the hearing before the request is sent to the Planning and Zoning Board for review.  The Planning and Zoning Board votes and sends its recommendation to the Town Council, which takes final action on the request. While the property owner most commonly initiates a rezoning, rezoning may also be requested by Town Council, the Planning and Zoning Board, the Zoning Board of Adjustment, or any resident of the Town or its extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ).  Watch the rezoning process video at
Planning, (919) 469-4082

School of Government
Become a more informed and effective Cary citizen by participating in the annual School of Government, which features eight classes organized around Town Council focus areas including community planning, infrastructure, budget and finance, and municipal services. The hands-on, interactive classes cover Cary history, structure, decision-making, planning, development, and municipal services.  Classes are held one night a week from 6 to 9 p.m. plus one Saturday class from 9 a.m. until noon. If you would like to be a part of this fall program, watch for a summer announcement in BUD, the utility bill insert, or on the Web site, that applications are available.
Town Manager’s Office, 469-4007

Senior Citizen Programs
Located in Bond Park at 801 High House Road, the Cary Senior Center strives to provide quality leisure activities and services to all adults age 55 and older. Activities are designed to assist, inform, entertain and enrich the lives of the Town of Cary’s senior citizens.  See also C-Tran. Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4081

Sertoma Amphitheatre
Located in Bond Park, Sertoma Amphitheatre accommodates 300 spectators for outdoor performances
and events held throughout the year.  The facility may also be reserved up to six months in advance.
See also Facility and Shelter Rentals.
Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Sewer Stoppages
The Town’s primary responsibility for the sewer system is to protect our environment by maintaining unobstructed wastewater flow in the main lines of the collection system. To accomplish this, the Town routinely cleans sewer lines and does preventive maintenance and repairs. If you experience a sewer system backup or observe a cleanout or sewer manhole overflowing, please let us know as soon as possible. When a stoppage occurs during work hours, contact Cary’s Public Works and Utilities Depart­ment at (919) 469-4090. After hours and on weekends and holidays, call (919) 469-4012. The Town will assess the stoppage to determine if the blockage is on the utility’s side of the sewer line or the home­owner's side of the sewer line. The Town will clear blockages that occur in the sewer main line or in the sewer service line from the Town-maintained cleanout at the edge of the right of way to the sewer main.  A sewer cleanout is a capped, vertical pipe, 4 inches in diameter, that provides direct access to the sewer system. Homeowners are responsible for blockages that occur in the service line located between the Town-maintained cleanout at the edge of the right of way and the house. If there is no cleanout pipe at the edge of the property, the homeowner is responsible for blockages that occur anywhere in the sewer service line from the house to the main sewer line. See also Wastewater Pretreatment and Backwater Valve. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Sewer Use
See Wastewater Pretreatment

Shelter Rental
See Facility and Shelter Rentals

Sidewalk Program
The sidewalk program includes improvement projects to construct sidewalks throughout the Town of Cary to provide pedestrian access to schools, public parks and recreation facilities, greenways, mass transit stops, shopping centers and businesses, and a variety of other destinations. Each year the Town Council establishes a priority list of locations for annual sidewalk projects that have been requested by citizens and staff.  The annual sidewalk priority list considers a number of factors including safety, use, need, and constructability.
Planning, (919) 462-2008

The Town of Cary regulates signs of all kinds through the sign ordinance chapter of the Land Development Ordinance (LDO). The ordinance was adopted for the purpose of regulating and controlling signs and their placement throughout the zoning jurisdiction of the Town to enhance health, safety, visual communication and the environment. A sign permit is required for nearly all signs including agriculture, business, and construction and renovation. Some temporary signs do not require a permit, such as yard sale signs, political signs, real estate signs and window signs, but regulations on the number, size, location, and longevity still apply.  Two yard sale signs may be posted, one on the sale property and a second sign on private property with the owner’s permission.  The signs may be put out from 5 p.m. Friday until 8 a.m. Monday.  All signs are strictly prohibited on light poles, trees, traffic signals, medians, street corners, intersections, and in ditches. Street signs for new streets that have been approved by the Planning Department are installed by the Public Works and Utilities Department, which also maintains street and traffic signs. 
Planning, (919) 469-4082; Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Sign Maintenance
See Traffic Signs and Markings

Sk8-Cary is a 12,000 square foot skate park located in Robert V. Godbold Park at 2050 NW Maynard
Citizens Guide to Services-39
Road. If you skateboard, in-line or BMX, Sk8-Cary is a must visit. SK8-Cary has a fully stocked pro shop and concessions area and offers group and private lessons.  Call (919) 380-2970 for an updated schedule or visit
Sk8-Cary, (919) 380-2970; Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Smoke Testing
To help protect our environment and as part of our regular sewer maintenance program, Cary conducts annual leak testing of the sanitary sewer system. Testing usually occurs in late August or September and takes several weeks to complete. Specific sections of the sewer system are targeted each year so that each part of the system receives testing at least once every twelve years. Property owners in a testing area are notified by letter approximately 30 days prior to testing in their area. Notices are also placed at each home or building within 24 hours of the test. A non-toxic, non-staining vapor that resembles smoke is used to conduct the tests.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Solid Waste Collection Bulky trash consists of items inappropriate for compacting in a garbage truck – large televisions, mattresses/box springs, furniture, gas grills, wheelbarrows, bicycles, and lawn mowers. By appointment, the Town provides curbside collection of these items at your home for a fee of $11 for the first item, and $7 for each additional item picked up during the same trip. Large appliances such as washer, dryers, or refrigerators are also collected curbside by appointment for a fee of $15 per item. Bulky trash and appliances (fee applies) may also be taken to the Citizen’s Convenience Center. See also Citizen’s Convenience Center.
Burning of trash is prohibited in Cary Town limits.

Christmas trees are collected during a one-time town-wide sweep during January. If you don’t want to wait for curbside collection, trees may be taken to one of several drop off sites in Cary or to the Citizen’s Convenience Center.  Christmas tree disposal drop-off locations and dates are advertised each December. Because the trees are ground up for landscaping or compost use, please remove all tinsel, nails, wire, ribbon, or other non-vegetative material. See also Citizen’s Convenience Center.

Computers are collected curbside for recycling. This is a free service for Town of Cary residential solid waste customers. To make an appointment, please call (919) 469-4090.  Computers may also be taken to the Citizen’s Convenience Center.  See also Citizen’s Convenience Center.

Dead animals found in the street or placed at curbside in a plastic bag will be collected by Town crews. Call (919) 469-4090 to request a dead animal collection. Dead animals may also be disposed of at the Citizen’s Convenience Center. See also Animals, Wild and Citizen’s Convenience Center.

Hazardous wastes such as antifreeze, pesticides, paint, paint thinner, and household cleaners can be taken to either of the Wake County household hazardous waste sites.  The North Wake Landfill is open for household hazardous waste disposal on the first Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; the South Wake Sanitary Landfill is open for household hazardous waste on the third Saturday of the month from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Holiday garbage (excess) is collected at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s.  Excess waste includes household garbage and miscellaneous waste but not bulky trash. The excess collection will be collected according to an annually published schedule which is also available on the Town’s Web site.

Household garbage such as food scraps and other solid waste resulting from food preparation or consumption is collected curbside once a week. Household garbage must be contained in your 95-gallon rollout cart, which is provided by the Town.  If you are a backyard multifamily customer, garbage should be contained in a maximum of four 32-gallon containers not to exceed 100 pounds in total weight. To protect our collection crews, the containers should be tightly covered, have handles, and be free of holes or other hand hazards. Please seal garbage in plastic bags, do not mix yard waste with garbage, and be sure ashes are fully extinguished. Medical waste/syringes should be placed in a puncture-proof container such as a plastic bottle or coffee can before disposal.  If you have more household garbage or miscellaneous trash than can fit into your roll-out cart, you can rent an additional cart for a monthly fee, be charged a fee each time there is a bag or bags of garbage next to your roll-out cart or you can take it to the Citizen’s Convenience Center for free.  Please call Public Works and Utilities to request a special pick-up or for an additional roll-out cart.  The Town does not collect dirt, bricks, rocks, hazardous materials, construction and demolition debris, or remodeling materials.

During Leaf Collection season (November-March), residents may rake their leaves behind the curb (or, where no curb exists, off the street pavement, between the roadside ditch and the front property line) to be vacuumed by the Town.  Please do not block sidewalks with leaves or rake leaves into the street as they may reduce the safety of vehicles as well as block storm drains. All leaves raked to the curb will be collected according to a published schedule. See

Miscellaneous trash includes lamps, telephones, small hand appliances, clothes, buckets, shovels, and other items resulting from cleaning out attics, closets, and garages. If you are unable to donate items to those in need, place them inside your Town of Cary roll-out cart for collection.  If they do not fit inside the cart, please call (919) 469-4090 to have them collected curbside for a small fee, or take these items to the Citizen’s Convenience Center for no charge.  See also Citizen’s Convenience Center.

Up to five gallons of motor oil can be collected from the curbside and recycled. Call (919) 469-4090 to request a used motor oil collection.

If there is only an inch or two of water-based paint (latex) left in the can, it may be disposed of by letting it dry out by setting it in the sun for several hours or by mixing it with kitty litter, sawdust, or sand. Once dry, call (919) 469-4090 to schedule a free special collection.  If there is more than two inches of paint remaining in the can or if it is oil-based paint, treat it as household hazardous waste. See also Hazardous Wastes in this section.

Recycling materials are collected curbside from Cary households on a weekly basis. Materials collected include newspaper and magazines; clear, brown, and green glass bottles and jars; #1, 2, 5 and 7 plastics in the shape of a bottle; aluminum cans and aluminum foil (no food particles); steel/tin food cans; milk/juice “gable-top” cartons; drink boxes; 6-pack rings and corrugated cardboard. Put all materials except corrugated cardboard in the bin and place it at the curb by 7 a.m. on your recycling day.  Corrugated cardboard should be flattened in 2’ x 3’ individual pieces and placed next to or under the bin. If you have more recyclables than can fit in the bin, put the extras in a paper bag or box and set it next to your recycling bin. Additional recycling bins can be purchased from the Town by calling the Finance Department at (919) 469-4050.

Yard waste is collected throughout the Town on the same day that your solid waste is collected.  Yard waste consists of vegetative matter collected as a result of landscaping – grass clippings, brush, leaves, and limbs. Limbs should be no longer than 4 feet and should not exceed 4 inches in diameter.  All soil and rocks must be removed since the Town does not collect these materials.  Place yard waste at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day in reusable containers, paper bags, or securely tied bundles. Loose yard waste or yard waste contained in plastic bags will not be collected. During holidays, please refer to the annual mailing or the Town’s Web site for the collection schedule.  See also Holiday Garbage in this section.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Speakers Bureau
The Town of Cary’s Speakers Bureau provides a pool of Town government professionals to speak, by appointment and at no charge, in their areas of expertise to businesses, civic groups, and other organizations.  Presentations can be tailored to fit most audiences, meeting lengths, and locations.
Town Manager’s Office, (919) 469-4007

Special Events
Check out for Town-sponsored events in the Town of Cary or call Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources at (919) 469-4061 or the Town Clerk’s Office at (919) 469-4011 for current information. See also Calendars. Town Manager’s Office, (919) 469-4007

Special Event Planning
Many special events – especially but not only those on or along public streets and sidewalks or those with signs – may need to have a permit from the Town to help ensure public safety and that our community’s high quality of life is maintained. If a permit is required, the Planning Department will take your information and coordinate with Police, Fire and any other necessary departments.
Planning, (919) 469-4082
Stevens Nature Center at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve
See Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve

Storm Drains
Storm drains are usually located in the curb of streets. Materials that enter the storm drains, including litter and other pollutants, go directly to area creeks and streams and not to one of Cary’s treatment facilities. To report a blocked storm drain or broken or dislocated storm drain cover, call Public Works and Utilities at (919) 469-4090. If you see someone dumping into a storm drain, report it immediately by calling 9-1-1.
Engineering, (919) 469-4030
42-Citizen’s Guide to Services

Street Addressing
Names and numbers for streets within Cary’s corporate limits and extraterritorial jurisdiction are assigned by the Inspections and Permits Department. ZIP codes are assigned by the United States Postal Service. Please note that it is possible to live in the corporate limits of one municipality but have a mailing address for a different city.  If you have ZIP code or mail delivery questions, please call the
U. S. Postal Service at (800) 275-8777.
Inspections and Permits, (919) 469-4043

Street Lights
Progress Energy maintains the street lights in the Town of Cary.  To report a street light outage, call their customer service center at (919) 508-5400. To request a new street light, call the Town of Cary’s Engineering Department.
Engineering, (919) 469-4030

Street Maintenance
So that we can schedule repairs as soon as possible, please report potholes and other damage to Town of Cary streets and missing or broken storm drain or manhole covers to the Public Works and Utilities Department at (919) 469-4090 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. After business hours, a message may be left on the voicemail; call 9-1-1 to report conditions that pose an immediate threat to life and safety. Residential streets are swept four times per year, and main thoroughfares are swept and flushed eight times per year.  See also Potholes. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Summer Camp
See Camps and Art Experiences

Surplus Equipment
Surplus equipment and vehicles may be purchased from the Town through public and private sales. Most equipment and vehicles are sold through the North Carolina Surplus Property Agency in Raleigh. Items can be viewed on their Web site.  Occasionally, auctions are held for specialty equipment and vehicles. Please refer to local newspapers and the Town’s Web site for advertisements. 
Purchasing, (919) 469-4105

Taxes and Assessments
County governments handle all assessment, valuation, billing and collection of property taxes for the Town of Cary – Wake County for those properties within Cary that are also within Wake County, and Chatham County for those Cary properties located within Chatham County. Citizens may pay the exact amount of the tax printed on their bill at Cary Town Hall which is a satellite office for Wake County property tax collection. Any problems or questions must be handled through the county tax office.
Finance, (919) 469-4052

Teen Activities
Programs for teens are offered at the Bond Park Community Center, Cary Tennis Park, the Herbert C. Young Community Center, the Page-Walker Arts and History Center, Stevens Nature Center, Jordan Hall
Citizens Guide to Services-43
Arts Center, Bond Park and through Applause! Cary Youth Theatre.  The Cary Teen Council is a volunteer organization representative of the youth of Cary in grades 6-12.  See also Camps and Art Experiences.  Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Tennis Courts
Lighted tennis courts are available at R. S. Dunham Park, Annie L. Jones Park, Robert V. Godbold Park,
Middle Creek Park, and the Cary Tennis Park. See also Park Locations.
Cary Tennis Park, (919) 462-2061
Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Any tent exceeding 200 square feet with side panels or any canopy exceeding 700 square feet without side panels requires a fire inspection and permit under the North Carolina Fire Code. Call at least 3 business days prior to your event to schedule the fire inspection and find out about any special requirements.
Fire, (919) 469-4056

Town Council
Cary citizens are represented by a seven-member Town Council, with the mayor and two at-large members elected town-wide and four members elected by district. All members serve four-year, staggered terms. New council members are sworn in at the December meeting following the election. In 2005, Cary voters elected an at-large member as well as the District A and District C Council members.  In 2007, Cary voters will elect their mayor, one at-large council member and the District B and District D council members. Current council members and their contact information are available from the Town Clerk or on the Town’s Web site. 
Town Clerk, (919) 469-4011

Town Council Meetings
The Cary Town Council typically meets on the second and fourth Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. Always check the Town’s Web calendar for up-to-date meeting dates. All meetings are open to the public. The meeting agenda is published on the Town’s Web site by 5 p.m. on the Friday prior to the meeting. The public is invited to speak during the “Public Speaks Out” portion of the meeting. Regular meetings are cablecast live and rebroadcast on Cary TV 11.
Town Clerk, (919) 469-4011

Traffic Calming
Traffic calming measures may be installed on Town-maintained residential streets where speeding vehicles are a primary concern and constant police enforcement is not feasible. Before any installation is made, staff must determine that the project meets qualifying criteria, and the project must be approved by the Town Council. 
Engineering, (919) 469-4030

Traffic Signals
The Town of Cary maintains all traffic signals in the Town of Cary, the Town of Morrisville, and a portion of traffic signals in the Town of Apex. The system includes closed circuit television cameras, dynamic
message signs, emergency vehicle preemption, radar detection, and video detection systems all
connected via an 80+ mile fiber optic network that also connects all Town of Cary facilities. This state­of-the-art signal system is maintained by the Town of Cary 24 hours a day.  To notify Cary of a
malfunctioning traffic light, call Public Works and Utilities at (919) 469-4090 during business hours;
after hours and on weekends and holidays, call (919) 469-4012.
See also wink in the Public Information section.

Requests for new traffic signals may be made to the Division Traffic Engineer at the NC Department of
Transportation at (919) 560-6856 or by writing to: Division Traffic Engineer, NCDOT, 2612 North Duke
Street, Durham, NC 27704. Requests may also be submitted to the Town of Cary Engineering

Engineering, (919) 469-4030

Traffic Signs and Markings
Traffic and street name signs on Town streets are maintained by Public Works and Utilities.  Traffic signs on state maintained roads are serviced by North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT). Posters or other signage may not be placed on any sign or post maintained by the Town of Cary or NCDOT.  See also Signs. Public Works and Utilities (919) 469-4090

See C-Tran

Transportation Services
Transportation Planning services for bicycle, roadway, pedestrian and transit are conducted by the Planning Department, and the design of the Town’s transportation projects are conducted by the Town’s Engineering staff.  Bus service is also provided by the Town.  For other transit needs, Triangle Transit Authority (TTA) provides commuter bus service to downtown Raleigh and to Research Triangle Park. See also C-Tran. Planning, (919) 469-4082; TTA, (919) 549-9999
Trash Collection
See Solid Waste Collection
See Public Information

Utility Bill Payment Options
We have six ways for you to pay your Town of Cary utility bill:

Bank draft service automatically deducts the amount of the utility bill on the actual due date each month from a checking or savings account with no service charge.

Payments may be mailed in the return envelope that is included with the monthly utility bill.

Payment may be made in person at the collection window in Town Hall, 316 North Academy Street in downtown Cary, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Payments can be dropped off any time in one of three parking lot drop boxes: Morrisville Town
Hall, Cary Senior Center, or Cary Town Hall Campus.

Call (919) 469-4050 to pay by credit card.     The Town accepts Visa and MasterCard, by telephone or in person.

Online payment by credit card is available through our Web site at

Citizens Guide to Services-45
Finance, (919) 469-4050

Utility Bills
Water and irrigation meters are read monthly.  Water and sewer usage is billed monthly along with solid waste services. The current charges due shown on your Cary utility bill are payable upon receipt. Current charges are considered delinquent after the due date.  If the amount due for current charges is not paid by the due date, the account will be subject to a one percent late penalty or $5, whichever is more. All customers will be waived one late payment penalty per calendar year; however, waived late penalties will not appear on a bill so any billed late penalties must be paid. If you cannot pay the full amount by the due date, it may be possible to arrange installment payments by contacting a customer service representative at (919) 462-3849. If you are facing a hardship, you may also be eligible for one­time assistance through Oasis. Utility services are subject to disconnection for nonpayment 10 days beyond the due date. Reconnection can only be made upon the payment of the full amount due including late penalties and non-pay charges.  Questions regarding billed charges for service or payments should be directed to Customer Service at (919) 469-4050. See also Oasis, Utility Rates, Utility Bill Payment Options and Utility Service. Finance, (919) 469-4050

Utility Easement Clearing and Mowing
To protect our public health and environment, Town of Cary periodically clears easements of trees to prevent tree root penetration into sewer lines which causes sewer blockages and sewer overflows. It is also important to maintain access in case of emergencies.  Before any vegetative clearing starts, a letter is sent to all property owners that border the easement explaining the purpose for clearing easements and the approximate duration of the work to be performed. This allows property owners the opportunity to ask any questions they may have and to remove personal items from the easement prior to clearing. Wherever personal items (such as fences or portable buildings) are left in the easement, employees have been instructed to carefully remove any such items and set them aside. Town of Cary employees will not replace those items back onto the Town’s easement and are not responsible for any damage that may occur to the personal items. A Town employee is on site at all times during the easement clearing to monitor progress and to address any citizen concerns.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Utility Locates
The Town of Cary is responsible for locating and marking Town-owned utilities.  The locators are the Town’s representatives to North Carolina One-Call service, a statewide organization of utility owners.  The Town’s utility locators respond to request tickets that are generated by the NC One-Call service.  To request a utility locate, call (800) 632-4949.
Public Works and Utilities (919) 469-4090

Utility Rates
As part of its water conservation effort, the Town of Cary bills customers for water and separately metered irrigation use according to a tiered rate structure. The price of water increases with each tier, providing an incentive to use this finite natural resource wisely.  Sewer charges are billed at a uniform rate regardless of usage and are based on water usage. Base charges also apply to each service.  Rates are routinely reviewed through an annual budget process and are typically adjusted at the beginning of Cary’s fiscal year on July 1.  Customers in Morrisville pay different rates than customers in Cary.  The current rates are posted on the Cary Web site at  See Utility Bills. Finance, (919) 469-4050

Utility Service
To set up or terminate water, sewer and garbage service or for questions about a monthly statement, call
(919) 469-4050. To set up an account, the Town may require a deposit.  For problems with the water or sewer system, call (919) 469-4090.
Finance, (919) 469-4050

Vehicle License Fees
The Town levies vehicle license fees that are included on your property tax bill for your automobile.  No sticker, decal, or tag is required.
Finance, (919) 469-4312

Interested in selling goods or services to the Town?  Contact Purchasing for details at (919) 469-4105.

Volunteer Opportunities
See Volunteer to Serve under Citizen Involvement (page 12).

Wastewater Pretreatment
When fats, oils or grease are poured down the drain, they tend to collect and stick to household plumbing and sewer lines. Over time, blockages can occur that lead to sewer backups, sometimes causing sewage to overflow from plumbing fixtures or sewer system manholes. To help protect our environment by keeping what’s in the pipes flowing smoothly, consider the following alternatives when preparing dishes and cooking utensils to be washed:

Scrape plates into trash cans

Use paper towels to wipe leftover oils or fats from pots and pans and discard the towels in the trash

Minimize the use of the garbage disposal - don't use it as a trash can

Don't pour fats, oils, and greases down the drain

• Collect used oils from food preparation and place in the trash can. A Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) Control Ordinance was adopted in 1998 to curb sewer system overflows from accumulation in lines. The ordinance applies to restaurants and other non-residential facilities where food is prepared or served. The FOG Control Ordinance requires food preparation and service facilities to control fats, oils and grease with properly sized grease interceptors that are cleaned regularly. 
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090
Citizens Guide to Services-47

Water Bills
See Utility Bills

Water Conservation
Cary’s comprehensive water conservation program combines educational, incentive, and regulatory initiatives to better manage water use and to protect and preserve our natural resources. To facilitate those goals, the Cary Town Council adopted the Alternate Day Watering Ordinance, Rain Sensor Ordinance, and the Water Waste Ordinance. Educational lessons and presentations are available to school classes, civic organizations, scout troops, and other audiences.  Staff schedules landscaping and irrigation workshops, conducts free water audits upon request, and coordinates an annual “Beat the Peak” multi-media campaign to encourage wise water use. The tiered water rate structure, toilet flapper rebate, and wholesale rain barrel sales provide financial incentives for customers to use water efficiently.  In addition, the reclaimed water system helps us use our resources wisely. See also Rain Sensors, Alternate Day Watering, and Water Waste Ordinance. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Water Disinfection
In accordance with state and federal regulations, the Cary/Apex Water Treatment Facility temporarily stops adding ammonia to its water treatment disinfection process each March. Customers who use kidney dialysis machines should be aware that water might contain chlorine, ammonia, or a mixture of the two at the beginning and end of March. The water plant resumes adding ammonia to the water treatment process on April 1st.  As part of their annual work, Town crews each March also “flush” the entire water system by opening each fire hydrant for 15-30 minutes.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Water Leaks
The Town of Cary routinely surveys 50 to 75 miles of the water distribution system per month with electronic listening devices to minimize loss from the water system. Cary schedules system repairs as leaks are discovered. Customers are encouraged to report all system leaks as soon as possible. Whenever a customer experiences a water leak inside a home or business, the main water shut off valve inside the structure should be located and turned off.  If the valve cannot be located or shut off, call Public Works and Utilities at (919) 469-4090 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or (919) 469-4012 after hours and on weekends and holidays to have the water meter shut off so repairs can be made.  The homeowner is responsible for repairs both inside the home and from the dwelling to the water meter.  The Town is responsible for repairing leaks in the street or between the street and the meter.  If there is an unusual increase in water consumption on your Cary utility bill, consider checking around the hot water tank and underneath the house for water leaks. Toilets should also be checked for leaks by performing a dye test. Contact the Finance Department at (919) 469-4050 to further discuss a high utility bill or contact Water Conservation at (919) 469-4090 to schedule a water audit.
Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Water Meters
The Town of Cary installs and maintains all water meters and related appurtenances for residential and commercial sites in Cary and Morrisville. Other related water meter services and contact numbers are:

Purchase of water meter: Inspections and Permits, (919) 469-4340

Installation of new meter: Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Leaks (See Water Leaks)

Raising, lowering, and repairing meter boxes: Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Replacing meter box lids: Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090 or Finance, (919) 469-4050

Low water pressure: Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Replacement of water meters (broken glass, hard to read, aged out, etc.): Finance, (919) 469-4050

Water Quality
To help ensure safe and tasty water that meets or exceeds all state and federal standards, Cary regularly tests and flushes the water distribution system. Water samples are taken from a number of locations throughout the system, and the system is flushed at fire hydrant locations. See also Water System and Fire Hydrant Maintenance. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Water Rates
See Utility Rates

Water System and Fire Hydrant Maintenance
The Town performs operational tests and system maintenance on all fire hydrants twice each year.  The tests serve a dual purpose by assuring adequate fire flow and flushing sediment from the distribution system. See also Water Quality. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090

Water Waste Ordinance
Cary’s Water Waste Ordinance helps preserve our finite natural resources by prohibiting over-watering of landscapes in two ways. First, it prohibits direct watering of impervious surfaces such as streets, driveways and sidewalks to the extent that water leaves the property.  Second, the ordinance prohibits over-watering to the extent that water can no longer be absorbed and causes runoff.  Water conservation staff, workshops, and brochures are available to help customers learn how to avoid water waste.  See also Water Conservation. Public Works and Utilities, (919) 469-4090
Watering Schedule
See Alternate Day Watering
Web site
See Public Information
Citizens Guide to Services-49

If you would like to install a well for irrigation, first obtain a permit from Wake County Environmental Services. A site plan of your lot may be required.  For more information, call (919) 856-7400 or visit Wake County’s Web site,  Before connecting the well to your irrigation system, obtain plumbing and electrical permits from the Town’s Inspections and Permits Department.
Inspections and Permits, (919) 469-4340

Yard Sale Signs
See Signs

Yard Waste
See Solid Waste Collection

Programs for youth are offered at Bond Park Community Center, Cary Tennis Park, Herbert C. Young Community Center, Middle Creek Community Center, Page-Walker Arts and History Center, the Stevens Nature Center, Jordan Hall Arts Center, Bond Park and through Applause! Cary Youth Theatre.  See also Camps and Art Experiences and Teen Activities. Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

See Land Development Ordinance and Rezoning

Citizens Guide to Services-59

The Technology Town of North Carolina
Ninety-four percent of Cary's citizens have access to the Internet at home or at work – about twice the national average. The Town's top employer is SAS Institute, Inc., the largest privately held software developer in the world. The Town of Cary Web site,, has more than 55,000 files. Connected by more than 80 miles of fiber optics, Cary has the most advanced traffic timing and monitoring program in the region.

Award winning Town government Web site has received two Golden Web awards from the International Association of Web Masters and Designers.

Safest city in the South
Cary has been among the 10 safest large cities in America during all eight years that it has been rated.

Proactive in fire protection
The Cary Fire Department became the second department in North Carolina to earn national accreditation.

Progressive in law enforcement
The Cary Police Department became nationally accredited in 1992 by voluntarily demonstrating adherence to professional standards. It is one of four accredited police departments in the Triangle.

Statewide leader in emergency medical care
Cary Emergency Medical Services was the first agency in the state to have a federally certified ambulance service.

Where history and heritage come alive
The Page-Walker Arts and History Center is located in Cary's oldest and most historic building.  Built by Town founder Frank Page as a railroad hotel, Page-Walker is one of Wake County's best examples of Second Empire style architecture which was popular in 1868 when the hotel was built. It is also home to the Cary Heritage Museum.

A “friend of Britain in her sorest need”
Walter Hines Page, son of Allison Francis Page, was an editor and public education proponent. He was also ambassador to Great Britain from 1913-1918 and is honored with a tablet in Westminster Abbey for advocating that the United States side with Britain and its allies during World War I.

Commitment to historic preservation
Cary is fortunate to have three National Register Historic Districts that recognize the past and provide incentives for preservation. Those districts are the Cary Historic District around Academy Street and Harrison Avenue in downtown Cary and the Carpenter and Green Level Historic Districts in west Cary which recognize farming communities from the last century.  In addition there are two individual listings on the National Register of Historic Places: the Page-Walker Hotel (now the Page-Walker Arts and History Center) on the Town Hall campus and the Nancy Jones House on Chapel Hill Road.

Groundbreaking in public education
North Carolina's first public high school was on the campus of what is now Cary Elementary School.

A public school system with boldness and vision
The Wake County Public School System is poised to lead the nation in narrowing the achievement gap and attaining remarkably high academic goals for all.

Leading the way in reducing what we throw away
Cary's curbside computer recycling program was the first in the state.

Protecting water quality by controlling stormwater runoff
The N.C. Sedimentation Control Commission granted Cary its Erosion and Sedimentation Control Award.

Keeping Cary green
The Town received its 23rd Tree City USA award in 2006, demonstrating its long-term commitment to urban forestry. Cary was one of the first towns in the state to get a tree protection bill through the
N.C. General Assembly.

Conserving our natural resources
Cary was the first in the state to save drinking water by reclaiming treated wastewater for irrigation.

Where careful planning preserves high quality of life
The Town has received the Outstanding Planning Award from the N.C. chapter of the American Planning Association for its Open Space and Historic Resources Plan.

Putting the brakes on stop-and-go traffic
Cary is the largest municipality in the state to fully fund its own traffic signal system, reducing air pollution caused by frequent stops and delays. The system includes closed circuit cameras at key intersections, allowing the Town to change signal timing and keep traffic moving smoothly.
Get additional copies of the Citizen’s Guide to Services by printing them from our Web site,